Inside St Michael's Church, Garway

Recent Photograph of Inside St Michael's Church (Garway)

“On returning from the Holy Land many crusaders built churches and copied the circular architecture they had admired there, especially the superb Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem”.

The church at Garway is one of only six churches in England attributable to the Knights Templar, although according to ancient documents a church stood on this spot, as the Church and lands of Garway were given to the Knights Templar possibly about 1165-80. This gift was confirmed to the Knights of the Temple of Solomon on 16th July 1199 by King John. The chancel and its archway belongs to their church, but the nave is a 14th century replacement for an originally circular nave which the Templars built - foundations of which can still be seen outside the north wall.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 25th June 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Garway/StMichael2.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library