Churchyard Cross, Rowlestone

Recent Photograph of Churchyard Cross (Rowlestone)

The original cross is medieval, but a new shaft was added in 1905, in memory of George William ATLAY, a priest murdered in Africa. His father was Bishop of Hereford, but it is unknown what connection he had with Rowlestone. He became a missionary in 1891 in Nyasaland (Malawi) but died there as a result of being speared to death by the natives. Poor chap.

The Cross is directly in front of the south doorway to the church.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 25th June 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Rowlestone/ChurchyardCross.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library