The Kennedy Window, Rowlestone

Recent Photograph of The Kennedy Window (Rowlestone)

In Memory of the / Kennedy Family /
Whose remains lie / in the Churchyard.

The window overlooks the graves outside of:

The Reverend James Martin Kennedy born 1815 died 1905
Margaret, his wife born 1840 died 1907
John, their second son, who died young, born 1874 died 1900.
Doctor James Buckley Martin Kennedy, their eldest son born 1867 died 1946.
Ada, his wife, born 1865 died 1945, and
Kathleen Margaret Buckley Kennedy-Davis, their dauguter, born 1907 died 1961.

Rev. James Martin Kennedy was born in Londonderry, in 1815. His Irish branch of Kennedy could trace their roots to the Kennedys of Castle Dunismure, and Castle Culzean in Ayrshire in Scotland, and he was a direct descendant of Sheriff Kennedy, who closed the gates of the town against King James II. He was presented to the living of Rowlestone-cum-Llancillo in 1864, retiring from there in 1892, after 28 years in the parish, and for the remainder of his life he lived in Hereford.

He is responsible for the restoration of the Church, which at the time of his arrival was in a dilapidated state. This was completed in 1866, and afterwards he purchased two meadows, and built the vicarage on the land. He contributed £2,000 of his own money for this work, but he was also assisted financially by his cousin Baron Martin of the Exchequer and other influential friends.

In 1866 he married Margaret BUCKLEY, of the Buckley family of Saddleworth in Rochdale, Lancashire. They had one surviving son, James, to whom the right hand side of the window is dedicated, together with his wife Ada (née BAILEY), and their only only daughter Kathleen.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 25th June 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Rowlestone/StPeter4.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library