Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire, 1846

Transcriptions by Paul Bradford and Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001 & 2012

BASLOW, BUBNELL, and BRAMLEY.

BASLOW, township, chapelry, and considerable village, on the east bank of the river Derwent, over which is an ancient stone bridge of 3 arches; 4 miles N.E. from Bakewell, 1 mile N. from Chatsworth house, 5 miles N.N.E. from Haddon hall; contains 5,477A 1R 10P of land, 176 houses, and 962 inhabitants - of whom 501 were males, and 461 females. Population, in 1801, 817; in 1831, 863. Rateable value, £3,026 15s. The Dukes of Rutland and Devonshire are principal owners, and the former is lord of tbs manor, besides whom are a few small owners. The chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, is a perpetual curacy, rated at £27 6s. 8d., now £119, in the peculliar jurisdiction of the dean and chapter of Llchfield, augmented with £800 Queen Anne's bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant. The patronage, which formerly belonged to the vicar of Bakewell, was, in 1811, vested in the Duke of Devonshire and his heirs. Rev. Anthony Auriol Barker, M.A., incumbent. The chapel is an ancient neat structure, in the later English style, with a tower surmounted by a short octagonal spire, placed at the west end of the north aisle. The township is free of large tithe, and that of lamb and wool is paid by agreement. The chapelry; also includes the townships of Calver, Curbar, Froggatt, and Rowland, which form the north-east division of Bskewell parish. On the north-east and west of Baslow the country rises rapidly into lofty hills, on the summits of whioh are widely extended moors, where the heath, gorse, fern, &c., give shelter to and preserve innumerable grouse and rabbits, and to the botanist an endless change of beauties are preseated, while extended and almost boundless prospects are presented to the eye. In some places, scattered groups of rock, cause an involuntary shudder, for fear some overhanging crag may crush the passenger to death. Tbe tourist and visitor will find in the village and neighbourhood excellent accommodation, and the privilege to fish in the Derwent ; being only 1 mile N. from Chatsworth house, "the Palace of the Peak", which the Duke kindly permits to be inspected, proves a main source of attraction to all parties, while Haddon hall, 9 miles S.S.W., adds greatly to the interest of this delightful locality.

The Peacock Inn, on the east side the road, 12 miles S.W. from Sheffield, kept by Hr Joseph Broomhead, has excellent suites of rooms commanding fine views of the house and park; being situated amid well cultivated grounds, this Inn has an air of quiet retirement, and the proprietor can delegate his guests the right of fishing in the Derwent. The Devonshire Arms, kept by Mr John White, in the part of the village called Nether Town, has good accomodation, and also a right of fishing. The Wheat Sheaf, west of the twelfth milestone from Sheffield, and 8 miles W. from Chesterfield, kept by Mr Ninian Ingleby, also enjoys a right of fishing in the Derwent, and the Bar brook also, which, though a small stream, has both trout and grayling. At any of these establishments the visitor will find every attention and comfort. Flys and other conveyances are kept for the accommodation of tourists who may wish to inspect the more distant objects of this interesting locally. Coaches from Sheffield, Chesterfield, Manchester, Buxton, and Bakewell, pass or call at these houses constantly. The manor of Baslow was given by Henry de Curzon, before the year 1330, to Richard Vernon, from whom it has descended to its present owner. The township was enclosed under an act passed 1824. The land is chiefly gritstone, principally used for grazing purposes; the declivities and vallies are considered excellent pasture land. Formerly here was a cupola at Barbrook, but it has long been in ruins. The Methodists have a neat chapel, erected about 30 years ago, and likewise a school for sabbath instruction. A substantial schoolroom, built of stone, was erected by the Duke of Rutland, in 1839, which is partly supported by subacription; the two noble Dukes of Devonshire and Rutland and the minister liberally subscribe a sum of £10 each per annum. The Feast is held first Sunday in August

BUBNELL, hamlet, on the west side the Derwent and small scattered village, forms a joint township with Baslow, from which it is separated by the river; contains 21 houses and 128 inhabitants - of whom 69 were males, and 59 females; the acreage and value being included with Baslow, of which manor it forms a part. Bubnell Hall, formerly a aeat of the Bassetts of Blore, and afterwards, by marriage, of Copwood, forms a good specimen of the architecture of the early part of the 17th century, and has a good view of the Derwent. It is now a farm house, and Mr Jepson Oddy, the occupier, has respectable apartments for families wishing to be located for a time in this district.

BRAMLEY is a small hamlet forming the north extremity of Bubnell, and consists only of one farm, 1 mile N.W. from Baslow, both forming a rich grazing district, on gritstone, the Dukes of Rutland and Devonshire being the principal owners.

CHARITIES.- Henry Chapman, by will, left the Pingle close with other lands on trust, out of the rents to pay yearly to the schoolmaster of Stanton Ford, in Baslow, 20s.; to the minister of Baslow, who should preach a sermon on the 5th of November, annually, 10s.; to the poorest people within Baslow and Bubnell, 19s. yearly; and to the poorest people in Calver, Curbar, and Froggatt, 10s. yearly to be paid on the 5th November. In 1820 these lands were surrenderad at a court holden at Hartington, to Robert Barker and five others, and consists of the Pingle acre, 1A 1R, and four allotnents awarded by the commissioners under an act of 38 Geo, III., for inclosing lands in Hartington, amounting to 3A 14P The whole are let for £4 per annum, of which the master of Ford school receives two-fifths, £1 12s. the others, as above, 16s. each. The anniversary sermon is not preached.

Rev. Francis Gisborne's charity,- (see Bradley.)- The sum of £5 10s. is received by the incumbent annually, for this chapelry, and laid out in coarse woollen cloth or flannel, and distributed to the poor about Christmas.

Robert Stafford, it is stated in the parliamentary returns of 1780, gave a sum of £10 to the poor of Baslow ; and it is said he gave other sums for other purposes, amounting to £60. In oonsideration of that sum, the Rev. Edward Markland conveyed to Robert Barker and five others the Townend Close, lying in Wheston, in the parish of Tideswell, on trust, to pay one-third part of the rent to the use of the minister of Baslow chapel, one-third part to the overseer of Baslow for the use of the poor in the township, and the remaining third part to the master of Ford school. The Townend Close, 1½ acres, with an allotment of 1A 8R 14P, are now let for £4 10s. per annum, paid half-yearly, and divided as above.

George White of Bubnell, it is stated on a tablet in Baslow church, gave £3 per annnm to be equally divided between the minister, schoolmaster, and poor of Baslow; and in the returns of 1786, George White's gift to the poor is stated as being land vested in the overseers, producing £2 2s. per annum, which it appeara probable was from lands in Pilsley, called the Underlow Close, the Stump Cross Close, and one moiety of Handley Bank, containing, in the whole, 6A 3R 22P, and were, by indentures dated 21st and 22d May, 1789, conveyed to the township, now let for £18 per annum, which is received by the overseer, who pays one-third part to the minister, one-third to the master of Ford school, and the remaining third to the poor of Baslow.

Minister, School, and Poor.- A security is held on the turnpike road from Nottingham to Newhaven for £25, dated 25th December, 1762, for the above purposes. It is not known from whence the money arose. The interest, at five per cent, being 20s., is received by the overseer of the poor, of which one moiety had, for many years previous to 1826, been paid to the minister, and the remainder distributed amongst the poor; but in future, we are assured, it will be divided in three parts as above.

Margaret White, it is staled on a tablet in the church, left £20, the interest to be divided between the minister and the poor of Baslow and Bubnell. An annual sum of 10s. is now paid by the overseer of the poor out of the poor rates, and distributed by him to the poor. It is supposed to be paid on aocoont of this charity, and that the principal sum was, at some former period, united with the funds of the township.

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2012.

BASLOW.

POST-OFFICE.- Mrs J. Stroyan, postmistress. Letters arrive at 6 morning, and despatched at 30 min. past 7 evening.

Those marked 1 reside at Bubnell.

1  Barker Miss Elizabeth, Garmston
Barker Rev. Anthy, Auriol, M.A. perp. curate
1  Bennett John, joiner
Brightmore John, whitesmith
Cawton Charles, tanner and fellmonger
Condell Wm. surgeon, Park lodge
Cooper Wm. Warsop, excise officer
Cundy Wm. cooper
Frost Matthew, jun. deputy barmaster
Frost Matthew, sen. barmaster of the King's
   Field, land agent, and road surveyor
Gardom Mrs Margaret
1  Green Henry, stone cutter
Grant James, gamekeeper and farmer
Jeeves John, gent.
Makin Mrs Elizabeth
Marples James, blacksmith
Marples George, flour dealer
Marples John, millwright
Marples Matthew, saddler and harness maker
Pashley Frederick, baker
Robertson John, architect

INNS AND TAVERNS
Devonshire Arms, John White
Green Man, Benjamin Ashton
Peacock, Joseph Broomhead
Robin Hood, Thomas Savage
Wheatsheaf, Ninian Ingleby

BEERHOUSES
Geeson Richard, agent for Berry's brewery
Jenkinson Ralph

ACADEMIES
Furniss Jane
Hartley Wm
Matley Sarah
Mowbray Wm. Ward
1  Wilkinson My. Bdng and day, Hall

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Bampton James
Bowden Samuel
Brightmore John
Daniel Wm
Derbyshire Samuel
Marples Wm
Marsden John
Nell George
Wallace Wm

BUTCHERS
Hearnshaw James
1  Tomlinson Wm

CORN MILLERS
Hodgkinson Jph. and corn dealer, Baslow mill
Shaw Geo. Barbrook
DRESS MAKERS
Marples Miss
Outram Sarah & Ann

GROCERS & DRAPERS
Buxton Samuel
Stroyan Isabella
Stroyan John & Jas
White Jph. & chandler

FARMERS
Fletcher Elizabeth, Moorside
Froggatt Benjamin, Moorside
Froggatt Robt. Robin Hood
Froggatt Thos. Gorsebank
1  Froggatt Wm
Gardon Thomas, The Yeld
Hattersley Wm. and maltster, Far end
Key Jno. Robin Hood
Kitchin Wm. Brambley
Marsden Wm
1  Oddy Jepson, Hall
Penistone Sarah
Stafford John
1  White Henry
JOINERS
Marked * are also Wheelwrights.
*  Cooper John
*  Hibberd George
Redfearn Abraham
*  Stayley Stephen

SHOPKEEPERS
Cocker Elizabeth
Gratton Ann
Redfearn Abraham

STONE MASONS
Brown Isaac
Davison Robert
Shillito Wm

TAILORS
Cocker John
Marples Thomas
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Baslow/Bagshaw1846.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library