Retailers in Baslow and Bubnell, 1841-2000

Compiled by David Dalrymple-Smith, © Copyright March 2007

Introduction

This article gives an overview of shops in Victorian times, and a gazetteer of all shops identified between 1841 and 2000. The first part relies heavily on census data, so the date say 1871 could include a few months in 1871 or all of the previous and subsequent decade.

Baslow, including the hamlet of Bubnell, is an agricultural village on the river Derwent in the North Derbyshire Dales, 4 miles east of Bakewell and immediately to the north of Chatsworth.

In 1841 there was only a little industry, but it was well supported by craftsmen and retail services. By the end of the century, the industry had virtually vanished to be replaced by a developing tourist trade and residents were commuting to nearby towns.

Bubnell had no tradesmen and only one significant shop, a butcher's which was out of business in 1871 and 1881.

Population of Baslow and Bubnell
18411091
20011184

Map of Baslow

Part 1
Retailers in Baslow and Bubnell from 1841 to 1901

The main shopping areas in the village were Bridge End and around the Devonshire Arms in Nether End, though there were occasional grocers and bakers in Upper End. Bubnell was remarkably free of shops.

Total Number of Shops Identified

 CENSUS YEAR
 1841185118611871188118911901
Druggist 111111
Draper1111111
Butcher3442333
Baker11  233
Grocer4556846
Shops 1 1 2 
Grand Total9131111151414
Note: The numbers include 4 shops not in the Census but presumed to be present

Drapers. The first mention of a drapery in Baslow is in Glover's Gazetteer 1835. John Stroyan and his descendents carried on the business in their shop opposite the Rutland Arms until shortly after 1901. The family was also responsible for the post office, which was first recorded in 1843.

Druggist. Another long serving family were the Coates at Bridge End. They were chemists and druggists in 1851. Over the years they added drapery and groceries to its range. In the 1900s it was also the post office, until the last Mr Coates died in 1952.

Butchers. There was always one, at times two, butchers at each end of the village. William Tomlinson (Bubnell) and William Tomlinson (Baslow) were the leaders in Bridge End, and Hearnshaw at Nether End.

Grocers. Bridge End had two or three grocers each year, long established names being Redfearne, White and Coates. In 1881 there were 4, while in 1891 there was only one suggesting that Coates had eliminated the opposition.

There were no grocers at Nether End In 1841 and only one in 1851 and 1861. After the redevelopment of the Devonshire Arms site in 1861, there were 2 grocers each year.

Miss Cocker a grocer had the only ongoing shop in Upper End from 1841 to 1861.

Greengrocer. 1901 saw the arrival of the first greengrocer in Baslow in Over End. He soon moved to Bridge End and became the first fishmonger.

Bakers. Only two bakers were noted in earlier years, one in 1841 and one in 1851. After a long gap the main Bakeries had started in 1881. One was in the Mill in Calver Road, and another opposite the Wheatsheaf Hotel in Nether End. Both continued well into the 20th Century. In addition two elderly widows were bakers, one in 1881 and the other in 1901 - both in Upper End.

Shops. There were a scattering of “Shops”, grocers or petty grocers over the years appearing in only one Census. Albert Barker a 70 year old ex weaver appears to have set up a Grocers shop in 1881, the only shop in Bubnell apart from Tomlinson the butcher. Elliott was a storekeeper across the brook at Nether End in 1891. Two grocers could not be placed - Donnan somewhere in Bridge End in 1841 and W White in 1871. The last 8 shops - about one for each Census Return and all in indifferent locations - tended to be run by persons who were either widowed or had other occupations.

Finally the earliest shop we know about was across the Bar Brook at Nether End. This was in 1823, before the 1823 Exchange of Land between the Dukes of Rutland and Devonshire, when there were many more houses in what is now Chatsworth Park. It remained until about 1860.

Part 2
Gazetteer of Shops 1841 to 2000

Shops are identified in
1 Bubnell,    2 Calver Road,    3 Church Street,    4 Over (Upper) End,    5 Nether End.
Bridge Farm Just across the old bridge in Bubnell SK25077235

Baslow, Bridge Farm Butcher. The Tomlinson Family have been butchers and farmers in Bridge Farm for generations. William Tomlinson (senior 1804 - 1881) was recorded as a farmer in 1841. His eldest son William junior (b.1830) started the Butchers shop in Calver road - see Jasmine Cottage below, but died young in 1866. His grandson William (b.1857) took over on his death in 1881. The shop closed in 1916, and the farm in the 1970s.

It has been the only significant shop in Bubnell since 1840. Tomlinson was not recorded as a Butcher in 1871and 1881, perhaps to promote the shop in Jasmine Cottage, or it could have been policy by the Duke of Rutland to keep Bubnell clear of retailers and tradesman.

There is a tradition that it had previously been an Inn - the Joiners Arms (see Bridge cottage).

Bridge Cottage Next door to Bridge Farm - in Baslow not Bubnell SK25087233
Baslow, Bridge Cottage

Grocer.   Abraham Redfearne (b 1805) and then his widow were recorded as grocers from 1851 to 1881.

A subsequent owner (Adelaide Alsop) wrote that it was a 3 story thatched cottage housing a General Store kept by “Granny Marples” up to 1903 when it was renovated.

Earlier it was probably the Joiners Arms (see Bridge Farm)

Baslow Mill Calver Road 100yds north of Rutland Arms SK25057247

The origin of the Mill is not known. The Hodgkinson family had been the resident Millers from before 1841 until the mid 1900s.

Baslow, Baslow Mill

Baker.   Mr Hodgkinson started a bakery at the Mill in the 1870s, which continued until the Mill closed in the 1920s. Mr Sabey (b.1851) was assistant Baker from 1891.

In 1920 the oven has a capacity 150 loaves when Mr Goodwin was head Baker. It was also a grocer in 1901.

Riverdale Next to lane to Hulley's Garage SK25127246

Taxi Driver   Percy Tomlinson (b.1899) son of Richard butcher at Jasmine Cottage. The house was built in the garden of Jasmine Cottage. He later moved to 4 The Green in Bar Road.

Painting and Decorating   Mr Hobbs.

Jasmine Cottage Calver Rd opposite the Rutland Arms Car Park SK25127244
Baslow, Jasmine Cottage

Butcher.   The shop was started some time between 1851 & 1861 by William Tomlinson junior (b.1830), the only son of William Tomlinson (senior) from Bridgefoot Farm. He died in 1866. This must have caused a family crisis: they recruited William Tomlinson of Rowsley (b.1837), no doubt a relative, to take over. William and his son Richard carried on until the early 1900s. The shop and the slaughter house are behind the main house and are just visible in the photograph.

Painter and Decorator   Hobbs in the 1930s

Japonica Cottage Calver Road, between the Forge and Jasmine Cottage SK25127244

George Merrill a plumber lived in the cottage from 1841 to 1881.

Baslow, Japonica Cottage

Shopkeeper.   Elizabeth Capper (b.1825), George Merrill's widowed daughter in law kept a shop here in 1891. Her brother, living in the same house was listed as a hawker.

Plumber & Hardware   Hubert Sheldon (in the 1930s).

Note. The first three houses in Church Street are on land occupied in 1848 by John Stroyan. For convenience I (David) have named the houses from left to right, “The Old Post Office”, “The Old Bank” and “The Barn Café”. I have used the old name “Sharman's” for the shop next door - opposite the drive to the Church.

The Old Post Office Across the main road from the Rutland Arms SK25157240
Baslow, The Old Post Office

Draper and Post Office.   John Stroyan (b.1784) is listed in Glover's Directory (1829) as a draper and in Piggott 1835 as a linen and woollen draper. The drapery business ceased soon after 1901.

It was also the Post Office. John's wife Isabella was Postmistress in 1846. The Post Office remained there until after 1901. In the last few years, the postmistress was Ellen Taylor, a relative of the Stroyan's who lived next door.

Greengrocers and Fishmongers.   When the last Stroyan retired some time after 1901, George Taylor and his son William moved their business from Gorse Bank Cottage into the Old Post Office. They were unrelated to Ellen Taylor who had been the Postmistress. At some date they became fishmongers as well. William Taylor was succeeded by his son Arthur, who carried on until his death in 1957, when his widow Kathleen took charge of the shop.

The Post Office returned to the shop in 1957. Kathleen stopped selling fish and gradually ran down the grocery business. She sold out in the late 1960s.

By the 1980s it was a chemist, then a wine shop and is now part of the decorating & furnishing shop “Avant Garde”.

The Old Bank Next to Old Post Office, with bay window SK25167240
Baslow, The Old Bank

Bank   Originally part of Stroyan's property it was developed as a branch of William Deacon's (later Williams and Glynn's) Bank in the late 1800s. After years of part time opening it closed in the 1970s. It was a then a business agency and a wine shop before becoming part of “Avant Garde”

Barn Café Next door to Sharman's SK25177240
Baslow, Barn Café

Café.   Originally an outhouse to Stroyan's Farm, it was converted after 1920 to a café. From 1930 to 1950 it was a high class tearoom presided over by Miss Baggs. Tea was always two scones and a slice of lemon cake. Walkers in boot were sent elsewhere.

Post Office.   In the late 1960s Mrs Fletcher moved in as Postmistress.

Café.   When she retired it became the Barn Café, then the Garden Café and it now is Charlie's Bistro.

Sharman's The large shop opposite the drive to the Church SK25187240

There were farm buildings on the site until it was redeveloped in the early 1900s.

Baslow, Sharman's Shop.   The first shop on the site was called Strines.

Grocer, Draper etc.   Some time in the early 1900s Mary Coates (b.1836) and her son Arthur (b.1874) known as “Pinny” moved premises here from Corner Cottage across the road. They had picked up the Drapery business from the Stroyan's, and soon became the leading grocer in the Village. It was also the post office. In the Rutland Sale of 1920 it is described as a double shop with grocer, chemist, draper and post office.

Grocer.   On Arthur Coates's death in 1952 it was taken over by Arthur Taylor, the greengrocer and fishmonger from down the road. He ran the two shops until he died in 1957.

Baslow, Sharman's (2)

Grocer.   Sharman's the grocers moved into these larger premises from Church Farm in 1957 with Mr Harry Shepherd as the first manager. They kept the Post Office for only a few months. (see “The Old Post Office”). Trade dwindled and it closed in the late 1970s.

Clothing Shop   Later it became the second hand “Labels” and now is a further extension to “Avant Garde”.

Church Cottage Opposite the drive into churchyard SK25187239
Baslow, Church Cottage

Grocer   In Victorian times the house was occupied by Thomas Marples a tailor. In 1881 his wife Eliza is described as a Grocer: she could have been supplementing the family income as her husband was 66 that year. There are subsequent references in the Gazetteers to this house being a Tailor and a Grocer. In the Rutland Sale of 1920 it was described as “formerly a grocers shop” and had “potential value for rebuilding as shop”.

Butcher   After 1920 it was converted to a butchers shop, first under Mr Kelsey then Mr Ludlam and finally Mr Bennett.

Post Office   In the 1980s it became the village post office, initially under Mr Peter Smith and now Mr & Mrs Holmes.

Art Gallery Small premise between Church Cottage and Church Farm SK25197239

Note. This is and always has been part of Church Farm but was sublet as a shop for most of the 1900s.

Baslow, Art Gallery

Baker.   Mr Burt Weir worked here as a baker for many years. He was followed in the 1950s by the Hargreaves sisters, who are remembered for their cakes.

Dental Surgery.   Norman Tomlinson bought the farm next door and converted the shop into his dental Surgery.

Art Gallery   He retired from dentistry and now uses it as an art gallery.

Church Farm Flower shop to right of farm entrance SK25231739
Baslow, Church Farm

Grocer.   The Whites had been grocers as well as farmers since at least 1835 when Joseph White was a “grocer and dealer in sundries” (Pigot 1835). The Grocery business continued until nearly 1920, when Mrs Alice White (b 1857) was selling only sweets and pop from the front room of the farm house.

The Rutland Sale catalogue of 1920 describes the shop as a “room communicating with the house and a storeroom”. The shop, although it is embedded in the main house, was sold separately from the Farm and it remains separate to this day.

Grocer   the shop was bought after 1920 by Sharman's, grocers who had their main business in Sheffield. In 1957 they moved to Sharman's (see Sharman's above)

Hardware.   Mr Harry Shepherd bought the premises which he ran as a hardware store until the early 1970s. When he retired in the 1970s.

Delicatessen   for several years in the 1970s and 1980s.

Flower Shop.   It is now “Darling Buds”, a florist.

No 2 Church Street   SK25251739

Newsagent   Originally owned by Mrs Chapman (previously Mrs Bufton) then inherited by her daughter Ethel Bufton. Ethel ran the agency until she died in the 1980s, surrounded by tons of unsold newspapers.

Hairobics Church Street SK25271739

Sweet Shop   Mrs Holroyd.

Hairdresser.   Since then the premises have been used for hairdressing. Initially it was owned by Miss Hilda Sheldon and her sister. After numerous owners it is now “Hairobics”.

Corner Cottage The corner house between School Lane and Church Lane SK25297237
Baslow, Corner Cottage

Chemist and Druggist   The Coates family.

Alfred Coates (b.1826) appears in the 1851 Census as a chemist and druggist. By 1871 the family were also grocers and, according to some Gazetteers, drapers as well.

Some time after 1901 they moved their business into “Sharman's” across the road but continued to live in the Corner Cottage.

Prince of Wales Inn The building next to the road SK25267233

A carpenter lived and worked in the site from (before) 1710 until 1860. Later the house near the road was sublet.

Grocer & Butcher   Samuel Bufton (b.1795) was a grocer in 1841 & 1851. He lived with his daughter and son in law James Hearnshaw (b.1812) who was a Butcher. James took over in the 1850s.

In 1861 James Hearnshaw moved to new premises in Nether End, allowing the new owner James Hawley (b.1825) to convert the building into the Prince of Wales Hotel.

Over End Cottage part of the present Cottage in School Lane opposite Over Road SK25477244

Sweet Shop   Mrs Fenton is well remembered here in the 1930s, probably because her shop was next door to the school.

Sycamore Cottage Part of the present house immediately below the Old Chapel SK25497248
Baslow, Sycamore Cottage

Small Shop. Miss A J Clark (b.1875) had lived in the cottage for many years. In the 1930s her successful family set her up with a small shop to provide her with income and occupation.

Over Lane Cottage Up the short path from the Alma  

Baslow, Over Lane Cottage

Grocer   Miss Elizabeth Cocker lived with her brother a cordwainer. She ran a grocer's shop from 1841 to 1861.

Village Shop (Matlock House) At the top of School Lane SK25547253
Baslow, Village Shop (Original House)

Grocer   in the 1901 Census Francis Knifeton (b.1847) is recorded as a grocer. He is remembered as living in this house but not as a grocer so the shop must have closed down.

Shop   In 1920 the tenant was Oswald Wilde. After his death his widow Annie married Harry Hawley and they started a sweets and tobacco outlet in the front room of their house.

Grocer   Harry died in 1943 and Annie in 1956. Their son Laurie inherited it and built it into a thriving grocery, extending it twice and making it the leading grocer in the village. After his death his widow Margaret ran it until she retired in 2003. It is now the village SPAR shop owned by Mrs Upton.

Baslow, Village Shop (Modern Extension)

Nailstone Cottage Top of School Lane, above Village Shop (Winnie McGregor's) SK25757253
Baslow, Nailstone Cottage

Baker   Mary Windle (b 1843) is described as a shopkeeper in 1895, and as baker in 1901 Census.

Victoria Cottage School Lane SK25607253

Cobbler   Mr Percy Brightmore lived and worked in the east part of Victoria Cottage in the mid 1900s.

Selbourne Cottage Bar Road just beyond Gorse Bank Lane SK25687256

Baslow, Selbourne Cottage

Cobbler   in the mid 1900s, Jack Hawksworth repaired shoes in the shed which still exists as an outhouse to Selbourne Cottage.

Gorse Bank Cottage    

Baslow, Gorse Bank Cottage

Greengrocer   George Taylor (b.1839) was an ostler in 1891. In 1901 he and his son William (b.1873) were greengrocers at Gorse Bank Cottage. Some time before 1910 they moved to the more central Old Post Office.

There was a major redevelopment in 1861 of the freehold site at Nether End, which included the Devonshire Arms and Radcliffe House. Note the inscription on the wall of Radcliffe House “1861”, and the name of the developer “I White” (John White).

The Royal Hotel, next to the Devonshire Arms and “The Shop”, next to Radcliffe house, were demolished in the mid 1900s..

The Devonshire Arms was extensively redeveloped in the early 1960s included the site of the old Royal Hotel.

Nether End in 1920  
Map of Nether End in 1920
  1. Corner Cafe
  2. The Farm
  3. Ivy House
  4. The Wheatsheaf Inn
  5. “Whitney's” (Bakery)
  6. Cobbler
  7. Fish & Game Shop
  8. Cafe
  9. Radcliffe House
  10. Garage
  11. The Royal Hotel
  12. “The Shop”
  13. Devonshire Arms Inn
  14. Café on the Green
  15. No1 Park Lane
  16. Thatched Cottage

Corner Café (1) In corner between Eaton Hill and Cock Hill SK25937219
Baslow, Corner Café

Sweets & Newsagent   Miss Faulkes.

Café & Newsagent   Mr & Mrs Burt Weir (who moved here from Church Street)

Restaurant   A French Restaurant was followed by Il Nino which opened about 1992.

The Farm (2) Across the main road from the Devonshire Arms SK25907221

Baslow, The Farm

Tea Rooms   in the 1950s. Les Hearnshaw was the farmer, his mother ran the tearooms.

Ivy House (3) Next door to the Wheatsheaf SK25937223

Ivy House was a lodging house in 1871 and 1881 run by Elizabeth Strutt (b.1830).

Baslow, Ivy House

Refreshment Rooms   were run by Elizabeth Strutt and then by her daughter Elizabeth (b.1865) in 1891 and 1901. The premises continued to be run as a café by the Strutt family then by Mr & Mrs Rowarth until closing in the early 1970s.

Antique Shop   Mr Beedham converted it to an antique shop. It is now Ivy House Antiques.

Wheatsheaf Inn (4)   SK25967223

Baslow, Wheatsheaf Hotel

Baker   Robert Rowland (b.1837) Publican of the Wheatsheaf and his son Harry (b.1867) are recorded as bakers and confectioners in 1891 (see “Whitneys” below)

“Whitney's” (5) Last house on right leaving village SK25957220

This house is shown on an 1857 map with a footbridge connecting it to an outbuilding across the Barbrook. This outbuilding, not present in 1848 may have been built as a bakery or converted at a later date. Frederick Pashley lived at Croft Cottage. In Gazetteers of 18 46 & 1852 he is listed as a Baker and probably worked here.

Mr Whitney, the Grocer in the main shop, converted the old bakery into a bungalow for his retirement in the early 1960s.
Baslow, “Whitneys”

Baker  Robert Rowland was a baker and confectioner in 1881, before he became Publican in the Wheatsheaf. He would have continued using the bakery when he was the Publican.

Grocer & Baker   Roger Sheldon (b.1861) was Grocer and Baker in 1901 and for years after. Initially he employed Harry Rowland, the publican's son, who was a qualified baker.

Grocer & Draper   Mr Willis. He was the last person to bake bread here.

Grocer   Mr Whitney: he married Mr Willis's daughter. Then about 1970 Mr Alf Sherratt who left in 1985 or so, since when the building has been a Printing works, a Florist and now a Bridal Shop.

Barbrook House (6, 7 & 8)    

There had been 4 houses between “Whitney's” and Radcliffe House. The first from the east was the house of the owner. Then in order:
Baslow, Barbrook House

Cobbler   Mr. Kemp mid 1900s.

Fish & Game   Frank Taylor mid 1900s.

Grocer   Mr. Jefferson mid 1900s: he had the Post Office in the 1940s. Then a Cafe.

Radcliffe House (9) On main road opposite Ivy House SK25927219
Baslow, Radcliffe House

Butcher   James Hernshaw (1811-1887), originally based at the Prince of Wales, moved here in 1861 to become the first tenant of the new building. He was the son of the Hearnshaw Farmers, whose family farm moved from Tithe Barn to Nether End in the 1890s. His brother William, now the farmer, took over the shop and the family ran it until it closed in late 1940s.

Gift Shop

Ladies Clothing   “Izzy's” from about 1990.

The Garage (10) In the gap between “The Shop” (demolished) and Radcliffe House SK25917219
Baslow, The Garage

Garage then Petrol Station.   It was opened by Mr Barnes then taken over by Joe Fletcher, who had been the mechanic based at the Wheatsheaf. It closed in the 1970s though his small building remains. Even in 2006 it still appears as a petrol station on GPS Navigation Maps!

“The Shop” (12) Near the entrance porch of the present Devonshire Arms SK25917219

This is (was) a three-story building. The Saddlery was up stone steps along side Dolby's shop

Grocer 1871 to 1891   Thomas Wilson.

Greengrocer   Mrs Dolby. In the evening it was a fish and chip shop.

Gift Shop and Antiques   This was the first shop owned by Mrs Chappell, see Café on the Green.

Saddlery.   Edwin Goodlad (b.1861) arrived in Baslow as an apprentice Saddler. Later he set up in the loft of “The Shop”. He is still remembered by older residents.

Café on the Green (14) Next door to the Devonshire Arms SK25897215

The shop could have been nearby and demolished in the rebuilding of the Devonshire Arms about 1850. There was another Grocer, in 1835 and 1852 run by Brookes, in the same area.

Baslow, Café on the Green Shop   Piggott (1829) records a Shop run by Charlotte White.

Butcher   John White, doubtless the son of Charlotte above, was a Butcher in 1835 and 1841. By 1851 he was the owner of the site and responsible for the redevelopment of the Inn. He became the Publican.

Grocer 1851 and 1861   Joseph Stewart and then his widow had a grocer's shop in this area.

Grocer 1871 and 1881   Sarah Jane White (b.1833), a widow. Could she have been related to John White the site developer?

Grocer 1891   Elizabeth Marples (b.1860) wife of John Marples from the Millwright family of School Lane.

Grocer 1901   Thomas Ellis (b.1864). His daughter next door had a Chip shop next door.

Bicycle Shop   Mr Stafford.

Antiques Shop   Mrs Chappell in the 1960s and 1970s.

Café   now called Café on the Green.

No 1 Park Lane (15) The house across the Barbrook bridge SK25927210

Baslow, No 1 Park Lane

Shop   There was a shop here in 1823, 1831 and 1857 run by William Daniels, his widow and his son. It became a boarding house then a normal dwelling house.

Thatched Cottage (16) Park Lane SK25917209
Baslow, Thatched Cottage

Store   James Elliot (born 1840) was a storekeeper in 1891.

Tearooms   Miss Elliott, presumably James's daughter, ran a tearoom here and sold sweets up to 1930s. Her speciality was a potato scone. She kept a distinctive type of cat. Apparently the fluff from each looked much the same, which was confusing for the guests.

Little Shop At entrance to Nether End Car Park SK25847213
Baslow, Little Shop

Gents Hairdresser   Mr Eric Beardall (in the 1930s)

Sweets & Minor Grocer   Outpost to the village shop - Hawley's - at Over End.

Sweets & Minor Grocer   Mrs Thorpe - “Sweet Gene”

Cupola the Old Toll Cottage Sheffield Rd SK26787326

Sweets and Pop   Miss Woodiwiss.   Mid 1900s.

Notes

The information is based on -
  • Personal knowledge of the village since 1966
  • Personal recollections of inhabitants - which are not always accurate
  • The Catalogue of the Sale of Properties in the Village by the Duke of Rutland in 1920
  • The Census Returns for Baslow 1841 to 1901
  • Chatsworth documents relating to the 1823 Exchange of Lands

I have had to be vague about many dates. I hope the information is reasonably accurate though it is inevitable that some institutions and many details are missing.

If you do find an inconsistencies or mistakes, or have new information, please tell me to include in any further edition.

David Dalrymple-Smith
Ref B 1 (3a) b March 2007

List of Premises

The above information was contributed by David Dalrymple-Smith in March 2007.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Baslow/Retailers.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library