Whittington (Derbyshire) - Historical Description, and Today

This information was collected by Jayne Smith (formerly McHugh), during her “One Place Study” of Whittington. It was previously part of her North West Derbyshire website.

Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835

WHITTINGTON is a small parish, in the same hundred as Staveley, about three miles and a half west from that village, and about two and a half north from Chesterfield. The village is one to which some note is attached, as having been the place where the Earl (afterwards Duke) of Devonshire, the Earl of Derby (afterwards Duke of Leeds), Lord Delamere, and Mr. John Darcy, eldest son of the Earl of Holderness, assembled to concert measures for effecting the revolution of 1688.

The Cock and Magpie public- house was where they concluded their deliberations; there is a house still bearing the same sign in the village, but the building used by these great friends to liberty and the protestant religion is now occupied by a shoemaker. A jubilee, or centenary, of the great event, took place here in 1788, when a procession was formed, consisting of upwards of fifty gentlemen's carriages, many clubs, with their bands of music, and a large assemblage of the most distinguished families of the county: they partook of refreshments at the original 'revolution house', and then proceeded to Chesterfield to dinner.

On Whittington moor are several extensive manufactories for stone-ware, in which many of the inhabitants find employment. The church, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is an ancient building; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Lincoln:- the Rev. - Gordon is the incumbent, and the Rev. R. Robinson is the present curate. The free school here was founded in 1674, by Peter Webster, and endowed by him with lands, which together with subsequent bequests, produce an annual income of about £32.10s. for which twenty boys and ten girls receive instruction.

The above description is from Pigot and Co's Directory of 1835. Today, Whittington consists of three distinct areas.

  • Whittington Moor (along the valley bottom towards Chesterfield)
  • Old Whittington (the oldest part)
  • New Whittington (mainly developed since the 1850's)

A new church was built at Whittington in 1896 to replace the old church which was burnt down. If you look at the old parish registers many show signs of fire damage and some of which were destroyed altogether.

Pigot's transcription by Rosemary Lockie. Additional notes by Jayne McHugh.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: https://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Whittington/Description.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library