“Mary Brady's House”, Baslow

Recent Photograph of “Mary Brady's House” (Baslow)

This little building on the right of the bridge was in fact originally a Watchman's Hut, but later acquired the nickname of “Mary Brady's House” after a beggar who used to sleep inside it.

It is situated at the north eastern end of Baslow Old Bridge and is probably of a similar age to the bridge itself, which was built in 1609. The low entrance may be a consequence of the original road surface having been built up, rather than a reflection of its original height.

A red telephone box, now an “Ancient Monument” in its own right, guards the other side.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 30th May 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Baslow/BradyHouse.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library