Stoke, Derbyshire

Extract from Bulmer's History, Topography, and Directory of Derbyshire, 1895

This transcription by Rosemary Lockie, © 2001 & 2012

STOKE is a small township containing 511 acres of land, situated 1½ miles N.E. from Stoney Middleton. The ratable value is £648, and the population in 1891 was 46. Michael Hunter, Esq., is sole owner and lord of the manor. Stoke Hall, the residence of Mr. Hunter, is an 18th century mansion, situated on the bank of the Derwent and embowered in woods. The district around is highly picturesque. There are in the township quarries of excellent gritstone, of which Sheffield Town Hall is now being built. Stoke is in the Baslow electoral division, Western parliamentary division, and Bakewell union and rural district. It is united with Eyam Woodlands for the election of a district councillor.

STOKE TOWNSHIP.

Berresford Joseph, farmer
Crossland Thomas Joseph, farmer
Hunter Michael, Esq., J.P., Stoke hall
Wright Anthony, farmer, Knouchley

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie on 2nd July 2012.

STOKE HALL STONE QUARRIES

[Adverts, page x]

Near Grindleford Bridge Station

DERBYSHIRE

THE Proprietor of this well known (warm brown) Sandstone is now able, by the completion of the Dore and Chinley Railway, on the Midland system, to despatch it from Grindleford Station to all parts, on the most favourable terms.

The great durability, even texture, and warm colour of this stone, combined with its facility in working, render it especially suitable for buildings of an important or monumental character.

It can be used with equal readiness for the largest cornice section, or the most refined moulding, or for figure or foliage carving.

The Cutler's Hall, at Sheffield, built with this stone, some 70 years ago, shows no deterioration from the exceptionally severe atmospheric influence of that town.

The stone can be quarried to either random or dimension size to a great height on its natural bed, a point so often overlooked in selecting a good weather stone.

In the Sheffield new Municipal Buildings, now in course of construction with this stone, the whole of the mullions, columns, &c., are on the natural bed. This can only be accomplished in few building stones.

This stone is also being used in the construction of the new County Offices for the West Riding C.C., at Wakefield, three Banks, and many other important buildings.

Particulars as to the chemical analysis, crushing strain, tests, &c., can be obtained on application to

G. A. TURNER, Grindleford,

OR

JOSEPH TURNER, Middlewood near Sheffield.

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie on 15th October 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Stoke/Bulmer1895.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library