Stoke

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1932.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

STOKE, is a township in the liberty of Stoke and parish of Eyam, 2 miles south from Grindleford station on the Dore and Chinley branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway. Stoke Hall, the seat of Capt. Michael John Hunter M.P. and formerly occupied by the Arkwright family, is a fine old rectangular mansion of stone, situated in a well-timbered park, on the banks of the Derwent. Capt. Michael John Hunter M.P. owns all the land here. The area is 504 acres of land, 200 of which are forest land, and 8 of water; the population in 1921 was 56.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Stoke/Kelly1932.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library