Stoke

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1912.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2005

STOKE is a township in the liberty of Stoke and parish of Eyam, 2 miles south from Grindleford Station, on the Dore and Chinley branch of the Midland Railway. Stoke Hall, the seat of Michael Joseph Hunter esq. and formerly occupied by the Arkwright family, is a fine old rectangular mansion of stone, situated in a well-timbered park, on the banks of the Derwent. The trustees of Michael Hunter esq. (d. 1898) own all the land here. The area is 504 acres of land, 300 of which are forest land, and 8 of water; rateable value, £636; the population in 1901 was 57.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Hunter Michael Joseph, Stoke hall
Ridge Alfred Crookes, Stoke cottage
Turner Thomas William, Flora house

COMMERCIAL.

Bowman Charles, farmer, Knouchley farm (postal address, Calver, Sheffld)
Brocksopp John Henry, farmer
Outram Geo. gamekeeper to Michael Joseph Hunter esq
Turner Percy J. Ltd. quarry owners, grindstone manufacturers, stone & grindstone merchants, Brockholes quarry.
T.A. "Turners, Grindleford".  See advertisement
White Tom, farmer

Percy J. Turner Limited

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Stoke/Kelly1912.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library