Moon Inn and Village Cross, Stoney Middleton

Recent Photograph of Moon Inn and Village Cross (Stoney Middleton)

This photograph shows the ‘Moon Inn’ on the left with the Village Cross to the right of center (and to the left of the red van) behind which is Castlegate Farm Shop. The Moon is now the only pub remaining in a village which once boasted up to 15 Inns and Taverns to satisfy the thirsty Lead Mining community, who were of the opinion that ale helped to counteract “belland” (lead poisoning).

Stoney Middleton villagers are now served by the 6th generation of HANCOCK Family Butchers in Castlegate Farm Shop, with a butchery business established possibly as early as 1828 by one John HANCOCK (1802-1854), who had come to the village with his parents to settle from Barlow.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Glenn Trezza on 31st October 2001.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/StoneyMiddleton/MoonInn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library