Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Stoney Middleton

Recent Photograph of Wesleyan Reform Chapel (Stoney Middleton)

Stoney Middleton Wesleyan Reform Chapel was built in 1829, on land which was purchased from the FURNESS family for £15. It became a Wesleyan Reform Church in 1849. In 1931, it was the first building in the village to have mains electricity installed.

This Chapel is one of 13 Churches of the Bakewell Circuit of the Wesleyan Reform Union. Other local chapels known to be in the circuit are Eyam, Foolow and Curbar. This may explain why baptisms of children from families living in Stoney Middleton and surrounds are to be found recorded at the "Wesleyan Methodist Bakewell Circuit" in the IGI!

Reference:
Stoney Middleton, A Working Village - Millennium Awards booklet published 2002.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Peter & Janet Kirk on 8th April 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/StoneyMiddleton/WesleyanChapel.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library